Friday, June 29, 2012

LED ZEPPELIN

Now this is one I didn't want to write.

Generally I try to find out if someone else has already said what I want to say.  But with Led Zep it ain't possible.  Do a search and what you get is either unbelievably fawning and worshipful, or some ignorant little netsnipe (I just made that word up) trashing them, generally while demonstrating total ignorance, in both the areas of music, and of literacy

That's because Led Zep was THE biggest band of their era.  They absolutely dominated rock music in the 70's, and their shadow loomed over it for another two decades (actually it still looms over it, though it has diminished some).  Which is of course, part of the problem.  If you grew up like I did, having to hear them blasting out of FM rock radio every 15 minutes, constantly bombarded by their music, their image, and stoner dudes babbling about "Zeppelin" (when they weren't babbling about Ozzy.  Or Rush if they were a little more sophisticated), hating them was very easy to do.

But, separated by time and exposure (or lack, should I say), you start to hear things.  Twice in my life I've declared that I loathed them and divested myself of any recordings I had around.  And twice I've acquired most of those same recordings again.  And I've read books about them.

I still hate many things about them.  I hate Robert Plant's screechy singing (he's fine when he brings it down to a normal register).  I hate the ludicrous Tolkein-rip lyrics, intoned as if they were profound.  I hate "Fool In The Rain" and "D'yer Maker."  And I could go my whole life without ever hearing "Stairway To Heaven" again, and be happy.  I hate their bloated, ponderous live recordings.  I hate the "Song Remains The Same" movie, which is boring even if you are stoned.  I hate pretty much any of their attempts at blues.  I hate the way they helped push rock music into an album-oriented format, killing much of its spirit.

But, I admit - I love the Bert Jansch-ian guitar.  I love the production - still the best sounding hard rock records ever - with complete definition but no loss of power.  I love the Middle-Eastern and Celtic flourishes.  I love the bold - maybe I should call it shameless, experimenting ("Black Dog"!).  Most of all I love the sound of "Rock and Roll," and "Four Sticks," and especially "When The Levee Breaks."

Seen in perspective, they were horrible, awful, embarrassing, stupid, a big joke.  But at their best, they could be something wonderful, too.

Official Site
Led Zeppelin Wiki
Led Zeppelin Allmusic

Essential Listening

Led Zeppelin (Box Set) - definitive except it's missing "Four Sticks"
Led Zeppelin aka Led Zeppelin IV aka Zoso - their best single album

Essential Reading

Led Zeppelin: 1968-1980 - Keith Shadwick
Hammer Of The Gods - Stephen Davis



























No comments:

Post a Comment